Monday, June 1, 2015

Keeping It Real

Only two weeks until our team leaves for Haiti and I'm so excited, humbled and blessed to be serving as co-leader on my ninth return trip.

My first trip to Haiti was in the fall of 2010 after I had seen devastating images on television of the massive earthquake that hit Haiti in January of that year.  My heart was heavy and I knew God was calling me to go.  This step of faith was totally out of my comfort zone and I didn't feel quite worthy of the call.  Some people are apprehensive about serving in third world countries because they feel it would be too difficult to see the human suffering and poverty.  Others feel that it would be tough leaving family behind or their busy schedules.  For me, the difficulty was feeling that I was not holy enough to do the work that God was calling me to do.  With my past, what could I possibly have to offer? 

Still ~ I continued on in faith knowing that God chooses to use imperfect people for His purposes.

As part of preparations for that first trip, my team leaders asked each of us to share our faith story.  I wrestled with God big time on this task.  After all, I did not have a perfect past.  I had made many mistakes in my younger years and held several dark secrets.  I feared judgment from others on my team.  I remember thinking ~ "Do I sugar down my story or do I keep it real?"  After a week debating this issue, I felt strongly that God wanted me to "tell it like it is!"  Following God's lead, I shared my story ~ the good and the bad ~ and something amazing happened.  The other team members were so moved by my raw honesty that they decided to "get real" with their stories as well.  We discovered that we were traveling to Haiti with a bunch of sinners!  We sure were relieved, since we didn't have to pretend to be something that we weren't.  We embraced each other and the experience brought our team closer together.  We definitely could feel God's love, grace and mercy, as well as the unconditional love of each other.  God used our stories to provide healing for ourselves before we had even touched ground in Haiti! 

My devotion for today was based on Isaiah 58:12 and said ~ "Every city has deserted ruins left from poverty, drugs, or hopelessness. We can choose to keep walking or we can choose to restore."   We all have gifts that can restore a community in some way.  What bonds have you overcome (depression, anxiety, addiction, etc.) that you can use to bring healing to others?  Sometimes we forget that ALL human beings are sinners and struggle with various issues.  To accomplish His purposes, God uses ordinary people (sinners) who obey Him.  So don't let your past keep you from stepping out in service ~ either in Haiti or in your community.  Follow Christ's lead and "keep it real."

2 Corinthians 5:17 ~ "Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person.  The old life is gone; a new life has begun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment